If you’re a daily round right here, you already know that we’re lastly turning our consideration to our visitor room. For those who missed the submit the place I shared my design plan for our visitor room, you’ll be able to test that out right here. You might discover that there was no mattress included on that design board. That was on objective! It is as a result of we deliberate all alongside to make a DIY headboard. And since any such headboard is an unique concept that popped into my head at some point, I could not embrace an inspiration picture like I’d usually do.
We have made our personal headboards earlier than, like these that have been in our twin women’ room again once they nonetheless shared a room. However for our visitor room, I did not need an upholstered headboard. I did not desire a leather-based or wooden headboard. I needed one thing actually distinctive. I needed to make a headboard that would simply change with the seasons or for holidays. So that is what I got here up with. A tile headboard that I may customise with vinyl circles. It is positively an announcement piece for our visitor room.
Now, let’s dive into this tutorial with step-by-step directions so that you could make one among these headboards for your self!
Thanks to DAP Merchandise for sponsoring this challenge. This submit comprises affiliate hyperlinks in your comfort. Click on HERE for my full disclosure coverage.
Step-by-step tutorial for making this headboard:
First, I might suggest that you just watch the video beneath that will provide you with an excellent overview of this challenge. It is quick and candy. When you watch it, then proceed on studying this submit for the step-by-step directions.
1) Use a jigsaw to chop out the form of your headboard out of your 1/2 plywood. We selected an arched form and made it 64″ extensive. Our queen dimension mattress is barely 60″ extensive, however we needed the headboard to increase a bit past the mattress since bedding, and many others. provides some width. This challenge can be WAY simpler in case you favor to skip the arch!
2) Sand the perimeters to clean them out.
3) Apply Musselbound Adhesive Tile Mat to the whole floor of the plywood. Musselbound takes the place of thinset/mortar. It is easy to trim off the surplus with a utility knife.
4) Lay your entire tile.
5) Use tile nippers to trim any of your tiles till they’re all flush with the sting of the plywood.
6) Grout the whole floor of your headboard besides the inch or so across the fringe of your headboard–you’ll grout the sting after you apply the trim. Let your grout remedy in a single day.
7) Flip your headboard over in order that it is face down on the bottom. Use DAP Unique Wooden Glue and a brad nailer to connect scrap wooden across the perimeter of the plywood in order that you should have one thing to nail into if you connect your trim. For those who select to make an arched headboard additionally, you will have to chop small blocks of wooden to function nailing blocks across the curved a part of the headboard.
8) This DIY headboard is simply too heavy to connect it to a mattress body straight. We opted to make use of cleats. We made our personal, however I like to recommend simply buying some! Both method, to connect your cleats use DAP Unique Wooden Glue and 1-inch lengthy wooden screws to connect your cleats–make sure you countersink your screws in order that they sit flush with or beneath the floor of the wooden. We opted to make use of 2 cleats for a few causes. First, as you’ll be able to think about, a tile headboard is heavy. Second, we needed to make sure that the headboard did not rock towards the wall which could have been an issue if we solely used one. That is what a cleat seems to be like from the facet.
That is what the again of our headboard appeared like once we have been carried out attaching the nailer boards and cleats.
9) After slicing your PVC Lattice Moulding to size (the precise lengths and angles you will have to make use of will depend upon the precise dimension and form of your headboard) use DAP Speedy Fuse and a brad nailer to connect the trim alongside the outer fringe of your headboard. If you do not have a brad nailer, you would in all probability use a staple gun and staples. Place it in order that the trim is flush with the tile and overhangs the again of the headboard. This can disguise the cleats and the nailer boards when it is hung.
That is what the again of the headboard appeared like after we connected the trim.
10) Grout the sting of your headboard to fill within the hole between the tile and trim.
11) Use DAP Plastic Wooden X to fill any nail holes in your trim. Look ahead to it to dry then sand and paint the trim.
12) Resolve on the peak you need your headboard to hold and measure to find out the place the corresponding cleats should be mounted to your wall–ensure to screw into studs in order that they’ll deal with the burden of the headboard.
13) Grasp it up!
Methods to add customized messages to your DIY headboard:
If you wish to add customized messages to your headboard, learn on!
1) Use a slicing machine or spherical punch cutter that’s the similar dimension as your penny tiles to chop out vinyl circles. I reduce mine to .7 inches utilizing my Cricut Discover Air 2 and they’re the proper dimension.
2) Resolve on a design. I attempt to plan my out upfront in order that I do not make a zillion errors. My finest tip is to search out the middle of your headboard and work your method from the CENTER out in the direction of the perimeters.
3) Peel and stick your vinyl circles in your headboard. Once you get sick of it, peel them off and add a brand new design!
That is simply our first message 🙂 I am already excited to vary it up for Christmas. What do you assume?!
Earlier than you head out, why not turn into a V.I.P. at no cost? You get every kind of superior free stuff if you subscribe!