In case you work in well being analysis and innovation, there are many European funding alternatives arising. The EU is simply launching Horizon Europe, its newest analysis and innovation programme, which can run till 2027 with a price range of at the least €95.5 billion.
All varieties of UK organisations – together with academia, business, the NHS, and charities – can apply for funding on the identical phrases as EU-based candidates, because the UK will ‘affiliate’ to Horizon Europe.
Most of the analysis and innovation funding alternatives for Well being are from Horizon Europe’s ‘Well being Cluster’ which has at the least €8.3 billion of funding obtainable over the programme and a variety of alternatives to entry new information, develop partnerships, and/or entry new markets. The UK has had nice success prior to now, with UK organisations participating in tasks over 16,000 occasions (together with 2,800 occasions by UK SMEs) within the earlier programme, Horizon 2020.
What’s going to the ‘Well being Cluster’ fund?
The Well being Cluster has a variety of funding alternatives broadly falling inside six sub-areas, often known as ‘locations’:
- Staying wholesome in a quickly altering society
- Dwelling and dealing in a health-promoting atmosphere
- Tackling illnesses and lowering illness burden
- Making certain entry to modern, sustainable and high-quality well being care
- Unlocking the total potential of latest instruments, applied sciences and digital options for a wholesome society
- Sustaining an modern, sustainable and globally aggressive health-related business.
Welsh firm IMSPEX Diagnostics Restricted secured €1.5 million of EU funds to guide a Horizon 2020 undertaking aiming to revolutionise the way in which respiratory sicknesses are recognized. They led a undertaking involving companions in Germany, the Republic of Eire, and the UK.
How do I discover out extra?
Each two years the European Fee publishes ‘Work Programmes’, which element every name subject. The 2021-2022 Well being Work Programme will fund round 215 new tasks. It was printed this week and is on the market right here to test for alternatives.
A minimum of €1.75 billion of funding is on the market for Well being proposals submitted in 2021 and 2022, so hopefully some subjects is likely to be of curiosity to you. If not, there is likely to be a subject when the 2023-2024 Well being Work Programme is launched or in different elements of Horizon Europe (together with some funding open to all analysis and innovation areas).
We’re right here that will help you
Because the UK Nationwide Contact Factors (free helpdesks) for Horizon Europe Well being, we’re a part of a workforce of about 20 Nationwide Contact Factors (NCPs), who’ve been appointed by the UK authorities that will help you. We will reply questions on any facet of Horizon Europe funding, together with:
- Navigating funding alternatives and selecting the place to use
- Discovering companions (for many Horizon Europe Well being tasks you’ll apply as a part of a global consortium of organisations from at the least 3 totally different nations)
- Proposal preparation and the appliance course of
- Admin and finance questions
To remain updated with European well being funding and coverage, please signal as much as our e-newsletter by emailing [email protected]
If you’re new to European funding, our introductory webinar on Horizon Europe Well being Funding, and/or our overview of the entire of Horizon Europe can be found on the KTN web site and could also be helpful. It’s also possible to watch the recording of our latest presentation with recommendations on discovering companions and constructing a consortium.
Different Horizon Europe funding alternatives
There are additionally quite a few funding alternatives for Well being analysis and innovation past the Well being Cluster Work Programme:
- Partnerships: Partnerships additionally maintain funding calls:
- Modern Well being Initiative: successor to the Modern Medicines Initiative, with a broader scope together with prevention, diagnostics, therapy and illness administration incl. Pharma, Biotech, MedTech, Vaccines, Radiological, Electromedical and the Healthcare IT Trade.
- EU-Africa International Well being Partnership (EDCTP3) which goals to scale back the burden of infectious illnesses and strengthen analysis capacities.
Different partnerships, together with the Joint Programming Initiative on Antimicrobial Analysis (JPIAMR), additionally fund tasks.
- Most cancers Mission: The European Fee plans to launch a ‘Most cancers Mission’, with future funding alternatives for cancer-related analysis and innovation.
- Different thematic funding alternatives, together with health-related subjects in: safety; digital/AI; business/manufacturing/sustainability; house and satellite tv for pc information; transport; meals and agriculture; and atmosphere.
- The European Innovation Council (EIC) has funding alternatives that is likely to be of curiosity, summarised on web page 10 of their 2021 Work Programme, and our NCP colleagues Dora and Genevra can be completely happy to assist.
- ‘Backside-up’ alternatives open to all areas of analysis and innovation, together with funding for networking, innovation and coaching.
Previous UK success
UK organisations gained €7.41 billion of funding from the earlier EU analysis and innovation funding programme. This included €791 million from the Well being Problem/Cluster, the place there have been 400 participations from UK firms.
For instance, P1vital was one of many first firms to be awarded an SME grant within the earlier EU programme, receiving €4 million to validate a brand new medical system to enhance the therapy of melancholy. Due to visibility from this grant, P1vital have been in a position to combine their know-how in an even bigger, multi-partner Modern Medicines Initiative undertaking led by Lilly utilizing world datasets to enhance therapy for sufferers.
So, if you need a share of future funding, to entry new information, develop partnerships, and/or entry to markets then please do get in contact to search out out extra.
Leave a Reply