A brand new 7-year European analysis and innovation programme known as Horizon Europe has launched this yr, together with funding for analysis into democracy, governance, cultural heritage, cultural and inventive industries, and social and financial transformations. This programme is the biggest transnational funding programme on the earth with a finances of not less than €95.5 billion.
Horizon Europe is open to participation to every kind of organisations – be it universities, trade, charities, museums, civil society or authorities departments. The programme offers unprecedented alternatives for cultural and inventive sectors and industries to assist clear up the challenges arising from the pandemic. The UK is associating to Horizon Europe, that means that UK organisations can proceed to entry European funding: they may have equal participation rights to organisations from EU Member States with some minor exceptions.
The UK is traditionally very profitable in European funding, with UK organisations participating in initiatives over 16,000 instances (together with 2,800 instances by UK SMEs) within the earlier programme, Horizon 2020. In social sciences & humanities particularly, €111.5 million of funding was awarded to the UK (11% of the whole funding on this programme space), and there have been 337 participations by organisations within the UK.
Alternatives for social scientists and humanities researchers
Funding for advancing scientific data within the fields of social sciences and humanities falls below Cluster 2 – ‘Tradition, Creativity and Inclusive Society. This Cluster funds collaborative, challenge-led analysis inside the following analysis areas:
- enhancing democratic governance and residents participation,
- safeguarding and selling cultural heritage, and
- responding to and shaping multifaceted social, financial, technological and cultural transformations.
Nonetheless, the experience of social scientists and researchers from the humanities will probably be required in each a part of the programme to successfully deal with plenty of societal challenges and to extend the financial and societal impression of analysis. The opposite analysis Cluster themes with upcoming requires proposals are:
How do I discover out extra?
Each two years the European Fee publishes ‘Work Programmes’, which element every name subject. The 2021-2022 Cluster 2 Work Programme will fund round 130 new initiatives, the Work Programme is on the market right here to verify for alternatives.
A minimum of €420 million of funding is on the market for Cluster 2 proposals submitted in 2021 and 2022 with alternatives in a wide range of analysis fields within the social sciences and humanities. There will probably be additional alternatives within the remaining years of the 7-year funding programme and in addition in different elements of Horizon Europe outdoors of the Clusters (together with some funding open to all analysis and innovation areas).
How one can discover help
A group of about 20 Nationwide Contact Factors (NCPs) have been appointed by the UK authorities that can assist you to use to Horizon Europe funding alternatives. We offer a free helpdesk service and may reply questions on any side of Horizon Europe funding, together with:
- Navigating funding alternatives and selecting the place to use
- Discovering companions (for many Horizon Europe Well being initiatives you’ll apply as a part of a world consortium of organisations from not less than 3 completely different international locations)
- Proposal preparation and the appliance course of
- Admin and finance questions
In case you are new to European funding, this introduction to Horizon Europe or this overview of Cluster 2 could also be helpful.
Different Horizon Europe alternatives
There are an additional three alternatives which may be of curiosity to researchers within the social sciences & humanities:
- The European Institute of Innovation & Know-how will launch a brand new Data and Innovation Neighborhood specializing in the Cultural & Inventive Sectors and Industries (CCSI). This EIT KIC goals to help these sectors and industries and create new alternatives for innovation, schooling, enterprise creation and acceleration.
- EU missions are commitments to resolve a number of the best challenges dealing with our world like combating most cancers, adapting to local weather change, defending our oceans, residing in greener cities and guaranteeing soil well being and meals. Mission areas, with future funding alternatives, will embrace:
- most cancers
- adaptation to local weather change together with societal transformation
- wholesome oceans, seas coastal and inland waters
- climate-neutral and sensible cities
- soil well being and meals
- The New European Bauhaus initiative connects the European Inexperienced Deal to our residing areas. It calls on all Europeans to think about and construct collectively a sustainable and inclusive future that’s stunning for our eyes, minds, and souls. Particular requires proposals will help new European Bauhaus pilots from autumn 2021.
If you want to entry the funding alternatives, clear up grand analysis challenges, collaborate with world-leading organisations, affect analysis coverage and entry innovative applied sciences, infrastructure and expertise – don’t hesitate to get in contact.