To get pleasure from greens at their peak of freshness, develop your personal. Even when you have solely a small house, or a container backyard, there are lots of picks accessible that yield bountiful harvests from dwarf, compact vegetation.
Most greens are fast-growing annual vegetation that can be prepared to reap in 1 to three months after planting. Some greens, akin to peas and lettuce, develop greatest within the cool circumstances of spring and fall, whereas others, akin to tomatoes, corn, and squash, want heat soil to develop nicely. Virtually all greens want full solar for vigorous progress and full taste.
You’ll be able to develop greens from seeds or transplants planted in wealthy soil. Preserve seedlings nicely watered till you set them out in your backyard.
- When rising greens from seed, skinny out a few of the seedlings instantly after they sprout to ensure people who stay have enough room to develop nicely.
- Set out transplants promptly after buy. Most greens develop so shortly that they don’t maintain lengthy in small containers.
- Rotate crops to keep away from planting the identical vegetable in the identical house 12 months after 12 months. Rotation is your greatest protection in opposition to soil-borne ailments.
- Experiment with totally different varieties to make rising and consuming your greens extra attention-grabbing and enjoyable.
- Weed early and sometimes. After vegetation turn into established and have been thinned (or planted) to correct spacing, use mulch to regulate weeds between vegetation and rows.
Beans and Peas | Cabbage Household | Corn | Cucumbers & Squash
Leafy Greens | Root Crops | Tomatoes and Peppers
Annuals | Perennials|Bushes and Shrubs