Yesterday, I felt like I had some type of breakthrough. I used to be stood up once more but once more by one other handyperson with whom I had made an appointment to present me an estimate for the drywall job within the studio.
I’ve had absolutely the worst experiences with handymen. What number of is that this now? I’ve misplaced rely. Let’s see.
- There was the man I employed to do the most straightforward and primary job (haul away junk). He did half the job, and requested for the entire fee, and instructed me he’d be again the subsequent morning to complete. I paid him, after which didn’t see him for six weeks. Within the interim, I texted him twice, and twice he instructed me he’d be again the subsequent day to complete. He was a no present each occasions. When he lastly did come six weeks later to haul off the remainder of the stuff, his truck mattress was already piled full when he confirmed up, and he couldn’t get all the pieces he had promised to take (and for which I had already paid him) into his already-full truck mattress. However regardless, he declared the job completed, and received’t reply to my texts.
- I made an appointment with one other man on a particular day and at a particular time. He didn’t present. I obtained a DM from him on Nextdoor later that night telling me that we might reschedule. He didn’t apologize for standing me up, and didn’t provide any form of excuse. It was simply, “Hey, I feel I used to be supposed to satisfy with you at 5:00 in the present day. We will reschedule that for one more day.” Ummm…no.
- I made an appointment with a lady by way of DM on Nextdoor who handles her husband’s handyman enterprise. I messaged her, and he or she messaged me proper again saying that I might name her any time. I known as instantly, and he or she stated they have been at one other individual’s home giving them an estimate, and will in all probability come on to my home after that. She stated she’d name me again in 5 minutes. That was 5 days in the past, and I nonetheless haven’t heard again.
- I made an appointment with one other man. He and his helper truly confirmed up after they stated they might to have a look at the job. He was right here 5 minutes, took some measurements, and stated he’d textual content me later with an estimate. I didn’t hear from him that evening or the subsequent day. I lastly texted him and requested if he had an estimate for me, and I obtained a learn receipt displaying that he learn my textual content about two minutes after I despatched it. That was two days in the past, and I nonetheless haven’t heard again.
- I made an appointment with a lady who evidently has a number of work crews that do every kind of reworking and handyman jobs. She was presupposed to be right here yesterday at 5:00. At 5:30, she nonetheless wasn’t right here and I hadn’t heard from her. I known as and obtained no reply. I texted, and waited. I lastly obtained a textual content again from her at 6:00, and he or she stated that she was together with her plumber and didn’t understand the time, and that I might give her a name subsequent week and we will reschedule.
I don’t understand how any of those folks keep in enterprise after they deal with prospects (or potential prospects) with so little regard. To say that I used to be on the finish of my rope yesterday night could be an understatement. I used to be livid and annoyed and, fairly actually, feeling helpless.
Helpless. That’s a phrase that I’ve by no means thought I’d affiliate with myself. I’ve at all times considered myself as robust, succesful, decided. I’ve at all times been the form of one who will work out a manner, even when one thing appears unimaginable. During the last 16 years that I’ve been scripting this weblog, I’ve had folks ask me repeatedly, “Kristi, how did you try this by your self?” I simply did. Sheer willpower, a really robust will, blended with a heaping spoonful of stubbornness, has served me very properly over time.
However these days, one thing shifted in my thoughts, and never for the great. I don’t now if it’s simply because I’m on the final room in our residence and I’m feeling like I’m on the final mile of a marathon and I may not make it. I don’t know if it’s as a result of I simply had a milestone birthday and I’m feeling outdated and asking myself, “How did I get right here already?” I actually don’t know what it’s, however about six months in the past, there was a change in my mindset. As a substitute of being that robust, succesful, decided individual I’ve at all times been, I began telling myself that I can’t. I’m not succesful. I’m not robust sufficient. I can’t do this stuff on my own, and if I don’t discover assist, they received’t get completed as a result of I can’t.
I’ve by no means been an “I can’t” individual earlier than. However I’ve instructed myself these lies so many occasions over the previous few months that it’s simply grow to be miserable. Mix that with the truth that I haven’t been capable of finding a dependable individual to do a few of these issues that I had satisfied myself I couldn’t do, and that has led to a totally miserable feeling of helplessness.
By no means in my life did I feel that I might really feel helpless. And but, there I used to be yesterday, feeling helpless. I felt so helpless and discouraged that I cried and had a pity get together for myself. After which I obtained offended and threw a bit of mood tantrum as a result of these folks hold standing me up, and I another person has to do it for me as a result of I can’t do it by myself.
Effectively, after about half-hour of that nonsense, my anger and frustration turned in direction of myself. I began questioning what on the earth had occurred to me. What have I grow to be? How on the earth have I satisfied myself over these previous few months that I’m not succesful of doing this stuff?
I imply, we’re speaking about drywall, for goodness sake! And it’s not even on the ceiling, or excessive up on the wall. We’re speaking about drywall on the underside a part of the partitions.
I’ve drywalled whole rooms in our home earlier than, together with the ceiling, on my own. Sure, it’s true that I promised myself that I’d by no means must do drywall once more as a result of, fairly frankly, I hate it. I hate putting in drywall, and I hate taping and mudding much more. However my mindset had gone past simply I don’t need to do that as a result of I hate doing drywall. My mindset had gone to I’m not succesful of doing this and I’m dependent upon another person to do it for me. And never with the ability to discover somebody reliable to do it for me had led to that dreadful and unfamiliar feeling of helplessness.
I actually don’t understand how I had satisfied myself of those lies. I imply, I’ve put cased openings in load-bearing partitions on this home all on my own.
I’ve torn rooms right down to the studs and rebuilt them all on my own.
And but I used to be feeling helpless over 5 sheets of drywall? I had satisfied myself that I’m not able to doing this by myself. How did that occur?
Effectively, maybe being stood up by all these folks is strictly what I wanted to snap myself out of this downward spiral I’ve been in over these previous few months, as a result of in any case of my mood tantrums and pity events yesterday, I discovered willpower that I haven’t felt in a really very long time. I began reminding myself of who I’m and what I’ve completed, and I reminded myself that I’m VERY succesful! I don’t must depend upon different folks!
So I headed to House Depot with a plan in thoughts. I used to be going to lease considered one of their $19 vans, and get the drywall that I wanted to complete the job myself. I bumped into a bit of roadblock once I obtained there as a result of they didn’t have any of the vans, however I used to be decided. I nonetheless obtained my 5 sheets of drywall, however I had one of many guys assist me reduce every sheet down six inches in order that they would slot in the van. I obtained all the pieces I wanted to get this drywall completed! And as quickly as Matt and I are completed consuming lunch in the present day, I will get it completed.
And I’m going to cease telling myself “I can’t” and “I’m not succesful.” I don’t understand how or why these lies began creeping into my head, however I’m bored with these lies tumbling round in my head. As of yesterday, they’ve been issued an eviction discover, and I’m going to do all the pieces in my energy to get again to my outdated mindset the place I inform myself that I can. I can’t stand that feeling of helplessness, and I don’t need to really feel that once more. I could have handed a milestone birthday, and I could also be a bit older than I used to be once I began this weblog, however I’m nonetheless robust, succesful and decided…or not less than I’m going to do my highest to get again to mindset. It could take a little bit of time to get again there full steam, however within the meantime, I’m not less than going to cease letting these lies take up residence in my head.
Addicted 2 Adorning is the place I share my DIY and adorning journey as I rework and adorn the 1948 fixer higher that my husband, Matt, and I purchased in 2013. Matt has M.S. and is unable to do bodily work, so I do the vast majority of the work on the home on my own. You may be taught extra about me right here.