Hear how a lot cash it can save you by putting in luxurious vinyl tile your self, what to do about thermal enlargement gaps in crown molding and extra.
Save Large by Putting in LVT Your self
Luxurious vinyl tile is a good choice for householders searching for a sturdy, waterproof, and easy-to-clean flooring choice.
Additionally, it’s one of the vital reasonably priced flooring choices, making it an important alternative for budget-conscious householders. Joe researched the prices and right here’s what he discovered:
Most individuals pay on common $1,400 to have 200 sq. toes of vinyl plank flooring put in. Nonetheless, you should purchase luxurious vinyl for $2.50-$4 per sq. foot at The Dwelling Depot.
So, in case you set up it your self, it may solely price you between $500-800. That’s a saving, on common, of $600-900 over a professionally put in job!
You don’t want any particular instruments to put in luxurious vinyl tile. A field cutter is all it takes to chop the tiles.
The primary mistake individuals make when putting in is chopping it tight in opposition to a wall. All floating flooring require an enlargement house — you’ll want anyplace from 1 / 4 inch to half an inch.
Run the posh vinyl tile as much as the baseboard and canopy the hole with shoe molding. Simply you’ll want to safe the shoe molding to the baseboard.
Comply with the instructions precisely concerning any underlayment. Relying on the sort you purchase, the underlayment may already be connected.
Watch: The right way to Simply Set up Luxurious Vinyl Tile
What to Do About Gaps in Crown Molding
That is the primary winter that Chris has spent in his new Alabama dwelling, and he’s seeing the consequences of thermal enlargement.
Over the previous months, he says vital gaps have proven up within the crown molding all through the home.
“Ought to I ask my builder to appropriate the problem? If the gaps are stuffed, will it trigger the molding to buckle when it will get hotter?” he asks.
It’s superb how a lot supplies in a house broaden and contract, and doubtless nowhere is it extra evident than if you’re taking a look at crown molding.
The excellent news is these gaps will normally shut on their very own as soon as hotter climate comes again round.
Nonetheless, if in case you have some gaps which can be very pronounced, right here’s what you are able to do:
- Nail it in place: Use a nail gun to safe the crown molding to the wall.
- Fill it with caulk: As an alternative of utilizing conventional caulk, fastidiously apply an acrylic latex caulk. The trick is to barely feed it into the cracked space, in order that when it does shut again, it stays versatile. The hole will nonetheless seem however it gained’t be as deep or as noticeable.
Take heed to be taught the simple solution to take away acorns out of your yard, why a glass cooktop can shatter, what it’s essential to do to cowl terracotta tile and extra.
Eliminating an Acorn Overload
That is nuts! A house owner says he has greater than 250,000 acorns in his entrance yard.
“Moreover raking, which I hate, how can I choose up the acorns? My self-propelled lawnmower doesn’t have the ability to choose them up. Is there a chunk of apparatus appropriate for the job?” he asks.
Right here’s what you should utilize to take away acorns from a yard:
- Leaf blower: A leaf blower can blow the acorns right into a pile, making them simpler to gather. Bonus tip: Use a tarp to comprise the acorns whereas blowing them, making cleanup even simpler!
- Garden vacuum: A garden vacuum can suck up acorns and take away them from the yard. These could be dear, so see in case you can hire one, or rent a landscaper who owns one to make use of in your yard.
To get rid of this drawback sooner or later, stop the acorns from falling within the first place. If doable, take away the tree or prune it in order that it doesn’t produce as many acorns.
Some chemical therapies can stop acorn manufacturing, however solely knowledgeable arborist ought to apply them.
Remember — eradicating acorns could be time-consuming and also you may must repeat it as new acorns fall.
All the time put on security gear to guard your self from falling acorns and pay attention to bugs or critters within the acorns or hiding within the tree.
‘Why Did My Glass Cooktop Shatter?’
A house owner says the tempered glass on his fuel cooktop out of the blue shattered the opposite day, despite the fact that the equipment wasn’t on and he didn’t drop something onto it.
“What would trigger that to occur?” he asks.
Tempered glass is designed to be robust and sturdy, however it could possibly shatter unexpectedly for a number of causes.
A number of the most typical causes of tempered glass shattering embrace:
- Improper set up: If the cooktop will not be put in appropriately, it could possibly put stress on the glass and trigger it to shatter. As an example, if the countertop is overlapping the cooktop, it may put some stress on the highest, finally inflicting it to shatter.
- Thermal stress: If the cooktop or the glass is uncovered to speedy modifications in temperature, corresponding to from a sizzling pot being positioned on a chilly cooktop or vice versa, it could possibly trigger thermal stress and trigger the glass to shatter.
- Manufacturing defects: Generally, tempered glass can have manufacturing defects that make it extra vulnerable to shattering. If so, report it to the producer.
You may name knowledgeable to switch the glass cooktop, however it could be costly. Contemplate changing the equipment with a range that doesn’t have a glass cooktop.
To stop a glass cooktop from shattering, comply with the following pointers:
- Don’t place a sizzling pot on a chilly cooktop or flip the cooktop on excessive and instantly place a chilly pot on it. This will trigger thermal stress and may trigger the glass to shatter.
- Use cookware with flat bottoms to distribute warmth evenly and stop warping or bending.
- Don’t slide cookware throughout the cooktop, as it could possibly scratch or chip the glass.
- Don’t place heavy objects, corresponding to forged iron pans or stress cookers, on the cooktop as they’ll trigger impression injury.
- Clear the cooktop recurrently with a gentle detergent and a non-abrasive sponge or material to take away any dust, grime or stains.
- Use a stovetop cowl to guard the cooktop from scratches or stains when not in use.
- Don’t overheat the cooktop, as it could possibly trigger the glass to overheat and shatter.
- All the time comply with the producer’s directions for the care and use of your cooktop.
Protecting Terracotta Tile
A house owner has terracotta tiles all through her second-floor California condominium.
“The floor is just too onerous, very uncomfortable!” she says. “Can we have now extra comfy flooring put in on prime? It looks like removing shall be very costly, disruptive and noisy.”
As a result of conventional terracotta flooring has such an irregular floor, you’ll need to apply a self-leveling underlayment to create a easy, even floor for putting in one other kind of flooring over it.
You may run into the issue of elevating the ground top an excessive amount of to the place it could possibly block home equipment from opening or make them not stage together with your cupboards and counters. Examine the peak of the brand new flooring to ensure this gained’t occur after you’ve put in it.
There are a number of choices for overlaying terracotta tiles, together with:
- Vinyl flooring: Vinyl flooring could be put in over the prevailing tiles and is sturdy and straightforward to wash.
- Engineered hardwood flooring: Engineered hardwood flooring could be put in over the prevailing tiles and supply a heat and pure look.
- Laminate flooring: Laminate flooring will also be put in over the prevailing tiles and is on the market in lots of kinds and colours.
- Floating flooring: A floating flooring is a kind of flooring that isn’t connected to the subfloor, the sort of flooring could be put in over the terracotta tiles and could be made of various supplies like laminate, engineered hardwood, or cork.
Seek the advice of with knowledgeable flooring specialist to find out the most suitable choice to your particular state of affairs.
Finest New Merchandise
|Milwaukee’s new battery pack retains instruments powered for longer, so there’s much less downtime throughout your initiatives. Study extra >>|
Pool-Toy Plumbing Instrument — Earlier than repairing most plumbing clogs, you should first take away any standing water. Now, you can use a sponge or moist/dry vac, however right here’s another choice: take a child’s water-squirting toy, generally referred to as a water blaster, and use it like a siphon pump. Merely place the nozzle of the toy into the water and draw again on the deal with to suck up the water. Then you’ll be able to squirt it right into a bucket, bathroom or tub. That is nice for sink clogs, bathroom clogs, or if in case you have a malfunctioning washer that has water standing within the tub.
Watch: The right way to Take away Standing Water From a Clogged Sink
Paint Display screen Saver — When utilizing paint from a beforehand opened can, it’s finest to go the paint by way of a filter to display out dried paint chips and different small bits of particles. You should buy disposable paint filters, however they’re flimsy, not reusable and the paint flows by way of a lot too slowly. As an alternative, use a chunk of vinyl insect screening. Reduce the display about 12 or 14in. sq., safe it to a brand new, clear paint can with three small spring clamps, after which pour the outdated paint by way of the display. When executed, rinse out the display with a backyard hose and put it aside for the subsequent paint job.
Watch: The right way to Filter Paint Utilizing a Window Display screen
Radio Present & Podcast: Ship us your query!
When you have a remark, basic query about dwelling enchancment, or one thing we have featured on In the present day’s House owner, please fill on this kind:
Leave a Reply