Hear how a lot cash it can save you by putting in luxurious vinyl tile your self, what to do about thermal growth gaps in crown molding and extra.
Save Massive by Putting in LVT Your self
Luxurious vinyl tile is a good choice for owners in search of a sturdy, waterproof, and easy-to-clean flooring choice.
Additionally, it’s one of the vital reasonably priced flooring choices, making it an amazing alternative for budget-conscious owners. Joe researched the prices and right here’s what he discovered:
Most individuals pay on common $1,400 to have 200 sq. toes of vinyl plank flooring put in. Nonetheless, you should purchase luxurious vinyl for $2.50-$4 per sq. foot at The Residence Depot.
So, if you happen to set up it your self, it may solely value you between $500-800. That’s a saving, on common, of $600-900 over a professionally put in job!
You don’t want any particular instruments to put in luxurious vinyl tile. A field cutter is all it takes to chop the tiles.
The primary mistake individuals make when putting in is slicing it tight in opposition to a wall. All floating flooring require an growth house — you’ll want wherever from 1 / 4 inch to half an inch.
Run the posh vinyl tile as much as the baseboard and canopy the hole with shoe molding. Simply make sure you safe the shoe molding to the baseboard.
Observe the instructions precisely concerning any underlayment. Relying on the sort you purchase, the underlayment may already be hooked up.
Watch: Learn how to Simply Set up Luxurious Vinyl Tile
What to Do About Gaps in Crown Molding
That is the primary winter that Chris has spent in his new Alabama residence, and he’s seeing the consequences of thermal growth.
Over the previous months, he says vital gaps have proven up within the crown molding all through the home.
“Ought to I ask my builder to right the difficulty? If the gaps are stuffed, will it trigger the molding to buckle when it will get hotter?” he asks.
It’s superb how a lot supplies in a house develop and contract, and doubtless nowhere is it extra evident than while you’re taking a look at crown molding.
The excellent news is these gaps will often shut on their very own as soon as hotter climate comes again round.
Nonetheless, if in case you have some gaps which are very pronounced, right here’s what you are able to do:
- Nail it in place: Use a nail gun to safe the crown molding to the wall.
- Fill it with caulk: As an alternative of utilizing conventional caulk, fastidiously apply an acrylic latex caulk. The trick is to barely feed it into the cracked space, in order that when it does shut again, it stays versatile. The hole will nonetheless seem but it surely gained’t be as deep or as noticeable.
Hearken to study the simple strategy to take away acorns out of your yard, why a glass cooktop can shatter, what you want to do to cowl terracotta tile and extra.
Eliminating an Acorn Overload
That is nuts! A home-owner says he has greater than 250,000 acorns in his entrance yard.
“In addition to raking, which I hate, how can I choose up the acorns? My self-propelled lawnmower doesn’t have the facility to choose them up. Is there a chunk of kit appropriate for the job?” he asks.
Right here’s what you need to use to take away acorns from a yard:
- Leaf blower: A leaf blower can blow the acorns right into a pile, making them simpler to gather. Bonus tip: Use a tarp to comprise the acorns whereas blowing them, making cleanup even simpler!
- Garden vacuum: A garden vacuum can suck up acorns and take away them from the yard. These could be expensive, so see if you happen to can lease one, or rent a landscaper who owns one to make use of in your yard.
To eradicate this drawback sooner or later, stop the acorns from falling within the first place. If potential, take away the tree or prune it in order that it doesn’t produce as many acorns.
Some chemical remedies can stop acorn manufacturing, however solely an expert arborist ought to apply them.
Remember — eradicating acorns could be time-consuming and also you would possibly have to repeat it as new acorns fall.
At all times put on security gear to guard your self from falling acorns and pay attention to bugs or critters within the acorns or hiding within the tree.
‘Why Did My Glass Cooktop Shatter?’
A home-owner says the tempered glass on his gasoline cooktop abruptly shattered the opposite day, although it wasn’t on and he didn’t drop something onto it.
“What would trigger that to occur?” he asks.
Tempered glass is designed to be robust and sturdy, however it could possibly shatter unexpectedly for a number of causes. Among the most typical causes of tempered glass shattering embody:
- Improper set up: If the cooktop is just not put in accurately, it could possibly put stress on the glass and trigger it to shatter. For example, if the countertop is overlapping the cooktop, it may put some stress on the highest, finally inflicting it to shatter.
- Thermal stress: If the cooktop or the glass is uncovered to fast adjustments in temperature, similar to from a scorching pot being positioned on a chilly cooktop or vice versa, it could possibly trigger thermal stress and trigger the glass to shatter.
- Manufacturing defects: Typically, tempered glass can have manufacturing defects that make it extra vulnerable to shattering. If so, report it to the producer.
You’ll be able to name an expert to interchange the glass cooktop, but it surely could be costly. Think about changing it with a range that doesn’t have a glass cooktop.
To stop a glass cooktop from shattering, comply with the following tips:
- Don’t place a scorching pot on a chilly cooktop or flip the cooktop on excessive and instantly place a chilly pot on it. This could trigger thermal stress and might trigger the glass to shatter.
- Use cookware with flat bottoms to distribute warmth evenly and stop warping or bending.
- Don’t slide cookware throughout the cooktop, as it could possibly scratch or chip the glass.
- Do =n’t place heavy objects, similar to forged iron pans or stress cookers, on the cooktop as they’ll trigger impression harm.
- Clear the cooktop recurrently with a gentle detergent and a non-abrasive sponge or fabric to take away any grime, grime or stains.
- Use a stovetop cowl to guard the cooktop from scratches or stains when not in use.
- Don’t overheat the cooktop, as it could possibly trigger the glass to overheat and shatter.
- At all times comply with the producer’s directions for the care and use of your cooktop.
Masking Terracotta Tile
A home-owner has terracotta tiles all through her second-floor California condominium.
“The floor is simply too laborious, very uncomfortable!” she says. “Can we now have extra comfy flooring put in on high? It looks as if removing shall be very costly, disruptive and noisy.”
As a result of conventional terracotta flooring has such an irregular floor, you’ll wish to apply a self-leveling underlayment to create a easy, even floor for putting in one other sort of flooring over it.
You would possibly run into the issue of elevating the ground top an excessive amount of to the place it could possibly block home equipment from opening or make them not degree along with your cupboards and counters. Test the peak of the brand new flooring to ensure this gained’t occur after you’ve put in it.
There are a number of choices for protecting terracotta tiles, together with:
- Vinyl flooring: Vinyl flooring could be put in over the present tiles and is sturdy and straightforward to wash.
- Engineered hardwood flooring: Engineered hardwood flooring could be put in over the present tiles and supply a heat and pure look.
- Laminate flooring: Laminate flooring can be put in over the present tiles and is obtainable in lots of kinds and colours.
- Floating ground: A floating ground is a kind of flooring that’s not hooked up to the subfloor, such a flooring could be put in over the terracotta tiles and could be made of various supplies like laminate, engineered hardwood, or cork.
Seek the advice of with an expert flooring specialist to find out the most suitable choice on your particular scenario.
Finest New Merchandise
|Milwaukee’s new battery pack retains instruments powered for longer, so there’s much less downtime throughout your initiatives. Be taught extra >>|
Pool-Toy Plumbing Device — Earlier than repairing most plumbing clogs, you could first take away any standing water. Now, you may use a sponge or moist/dry vac, however right here’s an alternative choice: take a child’s water-squirting toy, generally known as a water blaster, and use it like a siphon pump. Merely place the nozzle of the toy into the water and draw again on the deal with to suck up the water. Then you may squirt it right into a bucket, rest room or tub. That is nice for sink clogs, rest room clogs, or if in case you have a malfunctioning washer that has water standing within the tub.
Watch: Learn how to Take away Standing Water From a Clogged Sink
Paint Display screen Saver — When utilizing paint from a beforehand opened can, it’s finest to go the paint by a filter to display out dried paint chips and different small bits of particles. You should buy disposable paint filters, however they’re flimsy, not reusable and the paint flows by a lot too slowly. As an alternative, use a chunk of vinyl insect screening. Lower the display about 12 or 14in. sq., safe it to a brand new, clear paint can with three small spring clamps, after which pour the outdated paint by the display. When accomplished, rinse out the display with a backyard hose and put it aside for the following paint job.
Watch: Learn how to Filter Paint Utilizing a Window Display screen
Radio Present & Podcast: Ship us your query!
When you’ve got a remark, basic query about residence enchancment, or one thing we have featured on Right now’s Home-owner, please fill on this type: